INTRODUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
Aims and Scope
The aim of the Korean Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (Kor J Oral Maxillofac Pathol) is to publish manuscripts of high scientific quality representing original clinical, diagnostic or experimental work in oral pathology and biology. Papers bring new knowledge and observations from the application of techniques within the spheres of light and electron microscopy, tissue and organ culture, immunology, histochemistry and immunohistochemistry, microbiology, genetics, biochemistry and molecular biology. The Korean Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology which was launched in 1967 is published six times(end of February, April, June, August, October, December). Review papers on topical and relevant subjects will receive a high priority and articles requiring rapid publication because of their significance and timeliness will be included as “Short communications” not exceeding two printed pages. All submitted manuscripts falling within the overall scope of the Journal will be assessed by at least two suitably qualified referees. Full text PDF files are available online at http://journal.kaomp.org or http:// kaomp.org. Visit www.kaomp.org to search the articles and register for table of contents E-mail alerts.
Submission of Manuscript
Manuscripts should if possible be sent to e-mail address of editor in chief on one newly formatted CD, containing an exact copy of the manuscript with tables and figures in a separate file(TIFF, EPS or JPEG); 2 printed, double spaced copies including figures and tables must accompany the disk. The paper manuscript and the file on the disk must be the same. Label the disk clearly with the journal name, author(s) and the title, file contents, computer system(DOS or Windows), word processor(Word, Word Perfect etc.) and version used. Do not convert your manuscript to ASCII format. The first page should contain, in clearly separated sections, the tile of the article, the author's(s), name(s), institution(s) to be attributed and address for proofs. A short title, not exceeding 40 letters and spaces, should be provided to be used as a running head. Articles should not normally exceed printed pages. Fee for page charge of accepted manuscript for publication is USD 20 per page, publication processing fee of USD 24 for copy editing. Additional pages or color print will be charged to the author(s) at the rate of USD 100 per page. After being filled in blank, checklist for original Article and Statement of Copyright Transfer have to be sent to editor in chief during submission. For further informations, please contact editor in chief by e-mail address.
Research and publication ethics
Informed Consent: The manuscripts related to the human subjects or samples drawn from humans should receive the informed consent according to the rule of Institutional Review Board of author's institute. If manuscripts include clinical trials, the clinical trials registration number should be got after the registration to the WHO accredited registration centers such as CRIS (http://cris.cdc.go.kr/). Statement of Human and Animal Rights: Authors should keep the ethical and standard of Institutional Review Board of author's institute and the Helsinki Declaration in 1975 (revised in 2008). In case of animal experiment, authors should keep the institutional or national guideline for the care and the use of laboratory animals. Paper fraud follows the COPE flow chart. For the policies on the research and publication ethics not stated in these instructions, “Good Publication Practice Guidelines for Medical Journals (http://kamje.or.kr/publishing_ethics.html)” or “Guidelines on good publication (http://www.publicationethics.org/resources/ guidelines)” can be applied. If there are any ethical issues from the manuscripts, it should be first reviewed by Editorial Board and the recommendations should be processed by the Society. If anyone does not agree or accept the decision by Society in the process of ethical issues, those may be referred to the Korean Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Journal Editors (http://journal.kaomp.org or http://kaomp.org) or appropriate committee of the corresponding institutes.
Every manuscript received is circulated to two peer reviewers. The author's name and affiliation is not disclosed during review process to reviewers. The review process can be repeated till three times if the request of revision is suggested by reviewers. If the re-review is repeated more than three times, it may not be considered for publication. If two reviewers do not agree to accept the journal, it may not be also considered for publication. Usually the first review process ends within one month. Manuscript Editing: The finally accepted manuscript will be reviewed by manuscript editor for the consistency of the format and the completeness of references. The manuscript may be revised according to the opinion of the manuscript editor. The article should be clearly divided as follows:
In original articles a separate page should contain a structured abstract not exceedinq 250 words. Use the following headings: Background, Methods, Results, Conclusions and 3-8 key words in strict accordance with Index Medicus(Medical Subject Headings). In review articles and case reports a separate abstract page should contain: a) authors' surnames followed by their initials; b) title of article; c) abbreviated title of journal(Kor J Oral & Maxillofac Pathol); d) an abstract of no more than 250 words; e) key words and f) the name and address of the author responsible for correspondence.
Clearly state the purpose of the article. Give only strictly pertinent references, and do not review the subject extensively.
Material and methods
Provide enough detail to ensure the reader could repeat the described procedures, including statistical testing
Present your results in logical sequence in the text, tables, and illustrations. Do not repeat in the text all the data in the tables, illustrations, or both: emphasize or summarize only important observations.
Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study and conclusions that follow from them. Do not repeat in detail data given in the Results section. Include in the Discussion the implications of the findings and their limitations and relate the observations to other relevant studies.
Acknowledge only persons who have made substantive contributions to the study.
These should be kept to the pertinent minimum and numbered consecutively in the order in which they appear in the text. Identify references in text, tables, and legends by arabic numerals(in parentheses). References cited only in the tables or figure legends should be numbered in accordance with a sequence established by the first identification of that figure or table in the text. Use the style of the examples below, which are based on the formats used in Index Medicus. Try to avoid using abstracts as references. Include manuscripts accepted, but not published; designate the abbreviated title of the journal followed by(in press). Titles should be abbreviated in accordance with the style used in Index Medicus and the Vancouver System.
1. Standard journal article
Sam Pyo Hong, Yun Woo Nam, Seong Doo Hong, Jae Il Lee, Chang Yun Lim: T/NK cell angiocentric lymphoma occurred in nasal & oral cavity. Kor J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 1997;21:109-115.
2. Chapter in a book
Neville BW, Damn DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE: Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology, 1st ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1995:295-304.
n the future the following format for case reports should be as follows:
2.Description of case, no introduction. Give as short and precise description of the case as possible. Include the necessary documentation(clinical, histological, pictures, etc.). Include a short section with the heading “Comments”.
3.Describe in the comments why the cases are of interest.Do not include an introduction and more than 5 references, and in all no more than 1 printed page. The Korean Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology will only publish case reports if they lead to new scientific hypotheses or represent new diseases, or cases with an unusual appearance or extremely rare cases.
All figures should clarify the text and their number be kept to a minimum. Illustrations should be planned to fit the proportions of the printed page taking into account the two columns. Text on figures should be in CAPITALS. Micrographs should be designed to be reproduced without reduction. Submit two copies of each illustration, identifying them with a label on the back which indicates the number, authors name and the top. Line drawings should be professionally drawn; half·tones should exhibit high contrast. Figure legends must be typed on a separate page at the end of the manuscript. Original colour transparencies, as well as two sets of colour prints, should be submitted. There will be no charge to the author(s) for reproduction of colour artwork.
Tables should be numbered consecutively with arabic numerals. Type each table on a separate sheet, with titles making them self-explanatory. Due regard should be given to the proportions of the printed page.
Abbreviations and symbols
Use only standard abbreviations (Vancouver System). All units will be metric. Use no roman numerals in the text. In decimals, a decimal point, and not a comma, will be used. Avoid abbreviations in the title. The full term for which an abbreviation stands should precede its first use in the text unless it is a standard unit of measurement.
These will be sent via E-mails as an Acrobat PDF file. These must be returned to the Production Editor within 3 days of receipt. At this stage, only minor alterations can be accepted.
Reprints and Subscription
Reprints without covers can be ordered on the offprint order form which will accompany the proofs. You can order a subscription of manuscript to publisher $100 per year.
Checklist for Original Article
Title of the manuscript : ___________________________________________________
Please check below items as √ mark before submission of the mauscript.
1. General guideline
- Manuscript contained one original manuscript, statement of copyright trarsfer, and introduction for authors and was dispatched via email (Statement of copyright transfer should be dispatched via PDF file).
- Manuscript should be typed in Hangul or other word processor with a space of 30 mm from upper, lower, left and right margin, 10.0 pt in font size, and line space of 200%.
- Text consisted of cover page, title page, abstract, main text, references, tables and figures in separate pages.
- Main text consisted of INTRODUCTION, SUBJECTS AND METHODS, and RESULTS AND DISCUSSION.
- Terminology was written by those from recent edition of 'English-Korean Medical Terminology' published by the Korean Medical Association.
2. Cover page
- Title, name of authors, affiliation was described both in English and in Korea.
- Korean and English abbreviated titles were described (Korean: less than 20 letters, English: less than 10 words).
- In lower area of cover page, the name, address, email, telephone, fax of the corresponding author or presentation in the scientific meeting were described.
3. Abstract and Keywords
- Word count was equal to or less than 250.
- A total number of word count was described below abstract.
- Keywords were described from MeSH in Medline if possible.
4. Main text
- The order of the subtitle was described according to the Instruction to Authors.
- References in the main test were described according to the Instruction to Authors.
- Every articles in REFERENCES were cited in the main text.
- Number of reference was less than 20.
- References were numbered according to numeric order.
- Abbreviated title of the journals were those from Medline or Korea Med.
- All references were written in English.
- The papers from Korean Journal of Medical Education were cited if the content is relevant.
- The reference style was followed by the Instruction to Authors.
- PDF file for the journal reference which is not indexed in KoreaMed or PubMed was included.
6. Tables and figures
- The titles and legends of tables and figures were written in English.
- Photos were in required format.
- The numbers of tables and figures were described according to the Instruction to Authors.
Statement of Copyright Transfer
To: Editor of THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL PATHOLOGY
Title of submitted manuscript: ___________________________________________________
I hereby certify that I agreed to submit the manuscript entitled as above to The Korean Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology with the following statements:
- This manuscript is original and there is no copyright problem, defamation and privacy intrusion. Any legal or ethical damage should not be directed to the Korean Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology due to this manuscript.
- All authors contributed to this manuscript actually and intellectually and have responsibility equally to this manuscript. . This manuscript was not published or considered for publication to any other scientific journals in the world. It will not be submitted again to other journals without permission from Editor of the Korean Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology if it is accepted for publication.
- Copyright of this manuscript shall be transferred to the Korean Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology if it is published in the Korean Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. It means that if any persons including authors want to use the contents of this manuscript, they should receive the permission from the Society and the source of contents should be clarified.
Conflict of interest Disclosure Statement
List any potential conflicts of interests of this manuscript (any financial support or benefits have been received by the author(s) that could affect the work reported in the article) or indicate “None.”